Wednesday, April 8, 2009

B

This was our first class for the Spring Quarter. I think that this will be a good class to discuss what prayer is, as well as the problems that I have with prayer. I sometimes have a difficulty understanding that prayer actually changes things. I pray and many times never really receive a direct answer. While there have been times that I knew that God responded, there are many more times that it seems God is entirely quiet and I wonder if I am praying to myself, or if there is a receptor somewhere receiving them. This class seems like a good place to discuss these apprehensions, and hear the apprehensions of others.

Today in class we started with morning devotions, there was some praying in unison as well as reading and response. These aspects of prayer are somewhat new to me. I have been to churches that practice these sort of liturgies, I have not taken a part in them consistently to know them very well. One thing that was a little awkward was a song praise from Africa that the class did together called umwema. Through my extensive time in South America I am used to doing songs like this, but it was different doing it in a classroom setting in America. I guess prayer should move me out of my comfort zone at times...

No comments: