Wednesday, May 13, 2009

B

Today's class was on unceasing prayer. We discussed what it means to pray without ceasing as looked at the historical methods for praying throughout the day. These liturgical and traditional methods are new to me because I have always been a part of a church that does not practice these sort of prayer times. I always thought that specific times to pray like discussed in class were so restrictive to the communication between myself and God, however, in class I saw that these are a good way to focus myself on God throughout the day. When these tools are used in a way that focuses the heart toward God, they are actually quite profoundly beautiful.

For the second part of the class we went to a local Methodist church where a prayer labyrinth was set up for us to walk and pray. Again this is one aspect of prayer that I do not typically engage in. I think I liked it...not really sure yet. While the walking and praying were nice, I continue to wonder if a walk through the woods might be better for me. I found myself worrying about staying on the labyrinth path, thinking that I need to hurry up because others were waiting, etc. A walk through the woods typically has different distractions, but I find it more calming. I think the thing that I brought out of the entire process is that I need to pray more. Pray when I awake. Pray when I get ready in the morning. Pray when I drive (eyes open). Pray when I work. Pray when I walk. Pray when I eat. Pray when I sleep...

No comments: