Friday, December 4, 2009

So this past week I was working on a sermon for my homiletics class. I selected the verses from Luke 21:1-4 which says:

As he looked up, Jesus saw the rich putting their gifts into the temple treasury. He also saw a poor widow put in two very small copper coins. "I tell you the truth," he said, "this poor widow has put in more than all the others. All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth; but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on.

In thinking through this passage I wonder, what does the wirter mean that she gave all that she had to live on. Does that mean she literally isn't going to eat until she finds some money? Does she have food at home? Does she even have a home? As so on...

I look at this passage and wonder what I am supposed to do with it as a Christian and a pastor. Is this a pattern for me that I should give literally everything to God? How does one do that and actually live? Is my faith so small that I think God won't protect me or do I have a healthy sense of reality to know I can't give EVERYTHING?

What does everything mean?

No comments: